Bureau of Meteorology - Willis Island Resupply
Scope of work
- Numerous resupply trips to Willis Island for BOM have been performed by PMG in recent years.
- Typical works involve loading barge and tow vessel with nominated resupply items to allow the BOM offshore weather station and the staff running it, to operate 24/7 for many months in between resupply runs.
- Items typically include 20 000 – 50 000L of diesel, cold and frozen goods in refrigerated containers, maintenance equipment, dry stores etc.
- Tug tows barge 200+ NM offshore from Townsville to Willis Island, land barge on the beach, then all resupply items are moved from the barge, across the soft sand beach, and up to the weather station.
- Typically 10 – 12 BOM crew and maintenance contractor staff are also transported to/from the island during the exercise.