Scope of work
The Port of Townsville engaged PMG to construct an extension to the Berth 10 Secondary Wharf. This wharf extension allows for vessels with larger beams (38m) to berth, and RORO operations for a 120T capacity 40’ MAFI cargo trailer with tractor. The wharf extension consists primarily of a 30m x 10m main deck, and three relieving slabs that were specifically designed to allow joint movement but combat settlement at the internal corner.
- Removal and Reinstatement of Armour Rock Profile;
- Supply and Install of eight 813mm diameter steel piles;
- Removal of existing relieving slab and partial demolition of the existing wing wall;
- Installation of the pile caps and Pre-cast retaining walls;
- Casting of the main wharf deck, using over 250m^3 of concrete;
- Casting of multiple relieving slabs on the existing wharf;
- Connect new structures to the existing CP system with an additional anode.
Site works began in April 2020 to ensure the main pours would be during the winter months. The works site was adjacent to an active wharf (Berth 10 Primary & Berth 9) which presented logistical issues with the management of incoming vessels onto those berths and the need to close the site down for large RORO or defence vessels.