Scope of work
Purpose: Provide environmentally friendly Public Moorings at sites around the Whitsundays area.
Description of Works by PMG:
- Undertake the fabrication of our 4m long Environmental Mooring pins in our Townsville workshop,
- Preparation of all materials, equipment and crew for transportation to the installation sites selected by QPWS,
- Undertake installation of 29 x Grouted Screw Moorings at the preselected sites within the Whitsunday Islands.
- These environmentally friendly moorings were installed into the seabed by commercial divers operating our specially designed Hydraulic Underwater Mooring Machine (HUMM).
- The diver is supported by a topside crew that pumps grout, via an umbilical, down through the mooring pin as it is screwed into the seabed.
- The rotation of the pin mixes the grout with the substrate material to form a column of concrete 4m deep with a 0.6m diameter.
- Once the concrete has cured a selection of the installed mooring pins were load tested using a 6 tonne vertical load, to confirm they have achieved the required holding power.
- Specialised mooring tackle was then connected to the mooring’s pad eye, at seabed level. This tackle uses a floating line that is suspended vertically using a subsurface buoy to provide catenary action for the vessels using the moorings. This has the effect of minimising shock loading during adverse weather conditions.
- The moorings were installed for use as Public Moorings at selected high use sites in the local Whitsundays Islands and Bait Reef area of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.